Capturing Memories | Documenting History

The Blaze Yearbook

News & Updates
  • Have a great summer Hawks!
  • All 2024 yearbooks not picked up can be picked up before or after school in the fall.

The Blaze Yearbook

The Blaze Yearbook

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Only We Know

Rumph’s Career Takes Off as Her Passion for Music Grows
Dan Zalazar-Ramirez

Everyone has a different way of expressing themselves. Avah Rumph’s (12) way was music. Rumph began writing music in 2019.

“My sister Sky had a friend and when we became friends, he introduced me to song writing which was when I started writing music,” Rumph said. “He suggested I start playing guitar and honestly, when I first started I didn’t know what I was doing, I would play ukulele chords on the guitar. It was hard, I don’t think I actually learned until 2020, which was quarantine.”

Rumph practiced and practiced until she felt she was at a point where she was proud. Self taught, Rumph played bass, ukulele and guitar. After learning the instrumental part, she started her journey of singing and writing.

“I’ve had Soundcloud for three years now and before I was so nervous to put music up and I would put little clips on Instagram,” Rumph said. “I put my first song up during quarantine because I found out you could release music for free and the song was called ‘Only We Know’. Currently that song has the most streams of my music and it still shocks me, everyone was very supportive. Now that I’m more into it I have Apple Music and Spotify, but I do enjoy Soundcloud just because it’s where I started and it gives little demos of each song so I can go back and listen.”

Since then she’s released more and more. Rumph eventually started singing at small events to get more comfortable with performing.

“My first time I played out in public was at an open mic at Fusion,” Rumph said. “I was so nervous and I wasn’t going to go up and play but I did. I was shaking because I hadn’t played anywhere since seventh grade, which was school. Everyone there really enjoyed it and they had a good time.”

Time went on and she went to more and more shows and according to Rumph, nerves never disappeared, but instead were replaced with passion.

“My first actual show was at a young performers day and it was really nice to be around such supportive people,” Rumph said. “It was really fun and there were so many people there. All my friends came and my cousin and sister were there too.”

Rumph’s friends joined her at events and she shared her talent with them.

It was really nice to be around such supportive people.

— Avah Rumph

“When I first met Avah, I found out about her talent in the same week and I was amazed,” Kevin Vasquez said. “Being able to be there and listen to her songs really gets me, seeing how much she’s grown and sharpened her skills with guitar and voice. I have been to her events and honestly, seeing her play live is a lot more exciting and touching than listening through your phone.”

According to Rumph, one of her biggest supporters was her sister Ellsa Rumph.

“I would describe it as ambitious for sure, she taught herself how to play every instrument she knows as well as how to be a songwriter,” Ellsa said. “I’ve been to all her shows except one and each show is better than the last. You can always tell how passionate she is about her music when she’s performing.”